Highly intelligent teenagers sometimes struggle emotionally and socially. Let me explain why…
Because of the difference between their conceptual abilities and their actual development, teens are able to envision outcomes that they are, as yet, unable to perform. Therefore, they frequently end up feeling frustrated and discouraged when learning new things.
By projecting “perfectionism” onto everything they do, their unrealistic self-expectations can lead to feelings of inadequacy. Anticipating the challenges in new experiences, they become hesitant to try new things for fear of failing.
Gifted teens are also sometimes hypersensitive to noise, light and the emotions of others, resulting in feelings of overwhelm in social settings. These teens often find it easier to be in the company of adults.
Helpful hints for parents of gifted teens:
- Parent support groups can be helpful for meeting other parents with similar experiences.
- Teen Therapy will help your teen to better understand and digest their life experiences.
- Consulting with a trained professional can help normalize your family’s experience.
Menu of Services Offered:
- Free Initial Consultation >
- Effective Parenting Classes >
- Adolescent Counseling 11-18 >
- Social Skills Assessment & Coaching >
- Young Adult Life Skills Coaching 19-24 >
Taking the Trouble out of the Teen Years
Providing service for: Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Culver City, Los Angeles, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, and Topanga Canyon.