Might your adolescent have a learning disorder? Read on to learn about special school accommodations that can be provided to support.
Psycho-diagnostic testing is used to determine the cause and nature of a teen’s difficulties with academic performance. These tests can either be administered by a private psychologist, or through your school district. These tests often identify potential learning disorders.
Common learning disorders include:
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Visual Processing Disorders
- ADHD (not a true learning disorder–but can contribute to learning difficulties)
- Asperger’s Syndrome (not a true learning disorder–but can contribute to learning difficulties)
Once we determine that your teen would benefit from an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), your child becomes eligible for special accommodations at school. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Being moved to the front of the classroom.
- Receiving extra time on tests and quizzes.
- Being excused from participation in Physical Education classes.
- Being excused from having to study a foreign language.
- Written instructions from the teacher regarding homework assignments.
- Access to the school psychologist during school hours.
- Extra time with the teachers.
Clarifying the problem is our first step towards getting your teen the support they need. It is important that school personnel understand that your teen’s challenges are not originating from a behavioral problem. (although frustration stemming from unaddressed learning challenges can result in “acting out” behaviors)
While learning disorders do present a challenge to your teen’s academic success, they do not need to derail their educational process. With emotional and educational support, teens with learning disorders can have a positive and successful high school experience.
Taking the Trouble out of the Teen Years
Providing service for: Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Culver City, Los Angeles, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, and Topanga Canyon.